INWG Member Pages

By and For Inland NW Writers

Howdy... Now that Dan and Tom have started the ball rolling with critiques, I have added the forum to the center of our main page. This will allow folks to add a discussion aimed at providing a critique of work(s) and will allow file upload as attachments so there will be no need to cut and paste from manuscripts.

We may need to work out some bugs as I have not used this feature with attachments, but go ahead an open up this message for a comment and see what the little text editor looks like. It is similar to other such features, so should be somewhat familiar. Just give it a try!

Linda

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Linda, thanks for this feature upgrade. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. See attached for more...

Sully

Attachments:

Okay - so far so good! I clicked on the attachment and it downloaded smoothly - I opened in Word. The only bad part was that I did NOT have to sign in first, which means anyone can down load the attached files. When I asked to reply to your discussion, I was asked to sign in first. Go figure!

Linda

Oh, that is interesting. I did not try that - I always sign in first. I'm sure that is an easy fix.

Sully

Dan, I've attached a doc with my comments/suggestions for the first two pages. I think the remainder will be more of the same so I won't go thru the entire doc. I see a pattern, mostly grammatical, and I think you get the gist of it.

Again, great story and feel free to ask questions or get clarification or discuss an issue. Keep in mind, my comments are mostly suggestions, not necessarily written in stone. Clearly, you have a style. I tend to write differently than I talk, which is often two different things. Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers

Sully

Attachments:

Sully,

Thanks again for your efforts.  I've been busy (the other reason for lack of activity on this site) but will read your edit at the earliest chance.  I am confident that it will improve my story, based on what you did for me before.  Hope to see you at the meeting tomorrow.

Dan

Tom Sullivant said:

Dan, I've attached a doc with my comments/suggestions for the first two pages. I think the remainder will be more of the same so I won't go thru the entire doc. I see a pattern, mostly grammatical, and I think you get the gist of it.

Again, great story and feel free to ask questions or get clarification or discuss an issue. Keep in mind, my comments are mostly suggestions, not necessarily written in stone. Clearly, you have a style. I tend to write differently than I talk, which is often two different things. Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers

Sully

Dan, you're welcome and yes, I do plan to be at the meeting tomorrow. Cheers

Sully

Sully,

The document loaded for me but is split apart in segments.  There are portions of my story standing alone, then a set of editing instructions standing alone outside the body of the story, so there's no easy way to tell what they refer to.  Also, the same instructions repeat in the same fashion in several blocks throughout the document.  Most mysterious.

Dan

Tom Sullivant said:

Sully

Hm, it is a Microsoft word doc, latest version. I do not remember which word processor you are using. I'll bring a copy to the meeting.

Sully

Dan, good morning. It was nice to meet you at Auntie's last week, however briefly. How did you like my edits? I hope it was some help to you. I typically arrive an hour early to the downtown area so I can relax, eat dinner, and have a drink before the meeting each month. You, and any other writer, are welcome to join me. See ya next month. Cheers  

Sully

Sully,

I've only had time for a quick scan (will go in depth soon), but, again, your edits of structure, content and word usage are right on the money.  Most of the suggested punctuation is also helpful, though I differ with you in some choices.  I'll consider the early arrival for meetings.  My schedule usually allows it.

I updated from Word Mangler 1.0001 to Word Mangler 1.0002 and found that your original edit attachment displayed as intended.  I'm sorry that I was relying on obsolete software.

Thanks again for bringing the hardcopy of your edit to the meeting.

Dan

Tom Sullivant said:

Dan, good morning. It was nice to meet you at Auntie's last week, however briefly. How did you like my edits? I hope it was some help to you. I typically arrive an hour early to the downtown area so I can relax, eat dinner, and have a drink before the meeting each month. You, and any other writer, are welcome to join me. See ya next month. Cheers  

Sully

Oh nice. I'm glad you don't agree with every single edit. Many times style is a personal preference and it's hard to determine when a person writes a particular word or line intentionally. I do this all the time and there is certainly nothing wrong with it. Ciao

Sully

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by INWGTeam.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service